Friday 4 March 2011

Project Asset 3 - James Bond Character Model

At first I was hesitant as to whether I wanted to model a human character. A human model doesn't have a simple shape and since we are organic rather than inanimate It would be hard to make a convincing model. However seeing other students attempt it on their blog I decided I might as well push myself and give it a try. 

I primarily followed the tutorial on low poly character modelling by Ben Mathis which can be found here: http://www.3dtotal.com/team/Tutorials/benmathis/benmathis_1.asp

As he suggested I started modelling using 8 edged cylinders rather than boxes as they more closely represent human anatomy and then started shaping the objects into a more human like shape. 

The Torso

Cylinders
















I duplicated the leg to keep them symmetrical and used the Boolean tool to join the legs together as one object. 

Funky Trousers















Once I was happy with the shape of the arm I also duplicated that and again used the boolean tool to carefully attached each arm to the torso.

Funky PJ's?














I'm unsure as to whether making the body one object was the right thing to do when it comes down to the animating part but for now im quite happy with how it has turned out. Since in the trailer Bond is wearing shoes I have not modelled feet. However I did create some shoes. 

Smart Shoes













The Hands

I then tackled the hands in the same way the tutorial I was following adviced. I started with a cylinder shape and extruded out the fingers one by one and got a fairly decent result.

Start

Making it a bit smoother

Mesh Smooth FTW!







































After completing the hands I once again use Boolean to attach them to the body. At this point I had a fairly decent looking headless corpse of a model.

At least he has shoes.














The Head

I was not looking forward to the head. Many online guides explain how the head is the hardest to model because we as humans are so used to looking at them that even slight deformities are noticable to us. I first tried the poly by poly method that was referenced in a peers blog but found it was taking too long and once again switched to the low poly tutorial I had been following so far.

Creepy.

















I started with a cube and modelled from there, adding in new edges and cutting in details where appropriate. 

Demon Eyes














While not very realistic I'm generally happy that is is at least recognisable as a human head. Using the mesh smooth modifier makes it slightly better.

Not bad
















At this point I wanted to add clothes to my character and I stumbled upon a video tutorial on how to use the Garment Maker and Cloth modifiers to generate clothing.
See Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hkk8XgGPQw

These modifiers can simulate clothes locally within the viewport to wrap themselves around the character which I personally think is amazing.
Panels of the shirt.

Adding seams

Simulation Result.








































Snazzy














I wont go into detail on how the process works. But I have to say that I am extremely happy with the results.

Now with trousers!

















Finally I added the trousers and gave the objects textures. The model is not finished completly. (A trend I seem to be setting) as he still needs eyes, hair and ears. I look forward to rigging the character and seeing how the model animates. Fingers crossed that it does without breaking...


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some Renders showing the character using the daylight system.





No comments:

Post a Comment