Friday 4 March 2011

Project Asset 2 - Alfa Romeo GTV6

The Alfa Romeo is just one of the cars featured in the film Octopussy. However I wanted to use it in my trailer as it is the best looking car in the film (although not quite an Aston Martin...) and does a great drift around a corner as Bond escapes the police. The whole scene takes just a couple of seconds and would go well as part of the last few clips in my trailer.

Research Board for Alfa Romeo GTV6














Since the model is actually quite complex in shape I started by drawing the shape of the body with the line using reference images. When complete I converted the spline into an editible poly and extruded out to get a block the shape of the car.

Car shape complete!












With some vertex tweaking, chamfering of main edges and deleting out the polygons where windows will be I had this:

First iteration of the car













By using this method I had majority of the car shape complete with very little effort. Many other students I've noticed have been modelling poly by poly which in my opinion takes a great deal of time and requires a lot of attention to keep smooth. However this method is not without its faults as I had to cut in many edges myself using the cut/connet tools to keep the model in quads.

Front Grill










 The next step was to define the front of the car. I created the grill using a box with a high number of height and width edges, inseting certain polygones and extruding through. To generate the smooth curve I used the modifier FDD 4x4x4 which I had used when making the desk chair earlier on.


Wheel Rims















The wheels consists of a tyre object (created from a tube shape) and the rims which was created using a number of methods including, extruding, inset, and bevel. The rims took a long time to get right. The other change at this point was the attempt and making the wheel arches which stick out quite prominantly from the car.

More defined car with wheels












At this point I then went on the create the windows and doors. To get an accurate window trim shape I copied the polygons surrounding the window frame and then extruded them slighty. This gave me the shape of the window frame and I added a plane to fit inside for the glass. I also added the lower trim and front and rear bumpers.

Car Even more defined
The final part was adding in the extra details including headlights, wing mirrors, rear details and other body details.

HeadLights

Wing Mirror



























Rendered Wing Mirror with reflective texture.
















At this point I would say the Model is again 90% complete. There are a couple more details I want to add when I get the time, (windscreen wipers, license plate details etc). Other than that the model is ready to use for my trailer and I'm fairly happy with the result.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some renders of the model using the daylight system:


1 comment:

  1. Research Board References

    Alfa GTV6 Fan Site (2011). Unknown. [Online]
    Available from - http://www.alfagtv6.com/
    [Accessed: 24/02/2011]

    Net Car Show (2011). Alfa Romeo Wallpapers. [Online]
    Available from - http://www.netcarshow.com/alfa_romeo/1980-alfetta_gtv_6_2.5i/1280x960/wallpaper_02.htm
    [Accessed: 24/02/2011]

    All Sport Auto (2010). Unknown. [Online]
    Available from -http://www.allsportauto.com/photoautre5/alfaromeo/gtv6/production/1986_alfa_romeo_gtv6_production_11_sb.jpg
    [Accessed: 24/02/2011]

    Alfa Workshop (2011). Alpha Romeo Images. [Online]
    Available from - http://www.alfaworkshop.co.uk/images/Alfa_Romeo_Alfetta_GTV_GTV6-3011-3-800.jpg
    [Accessed: 24/02/2011]

    Cuoresportivo (2009). Unknown. [Online]
    Available from - http://www.cuoresportivo.ch/alfas/gtv6/614x460/GTV6-bru1.JPG
    [Accessed: 24/02/2011]

    Concept Carz (2011). Car Images. [Online]
    Available from - http://files.conceptcarz.com/img/Alfa%20Romeo/83-Alfa-Romeo-GTV6-DV-08_CI-01.jpg
    [Accessed: 24/02/2011]

    Automotive-Detail (2011). Alfa Romeo Section. [Online]
    Available from - http://www.automotive-detail.com/images/gtv6-alfa-romeo.jpg
    [Accessed: 24/02/2011]

    Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board. Forums. [Online]
    Available from - http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/attachments/milano-75-1987-1989/153068d1254202689-sugestions-tires-gtv6-wheels-milano-verde-cat-wheels-005.jpg
    [Accessed: 24/02/2011]

    ReplyDelete