Saturday 2 April 2011

Smoke Trail Effect Testing


The first half of my trailer include Bond flying the BD-5 Micro Jet while avoiding a heat seeking missile. For these scenes I ideally wanted a realistic looking smoke trail to be generated behind the missile as it chases the plane.

http://www.3d-tutorial.com/3d_max_smoke_effect-1039.html

Today I followed this video tutorial I found online and experimented with creating a smoke trail effect.

I used the built in particle generating tool Super Spray and tweaked the settings based on the knowledge I had gained from the tutorial. The result within the viewport was this:

Spherical Representation of Particles











I then added a smoke map opacity to the texture as well as a particle age gradient map. Finally i turned the overall opacity down to make it more see-through.

This 50 frame video took 15 minutes to render in the lowest resolution on my laptop so while being a nice effect it will greatly increase my render time in the actual scenes it is used in.

No comments:

Post a Comment